Saturday, January 12, 2013

Potomac Heritage Trail

Northern Virginia Hike 4


Theodore Roosevelt Island to Scott's Run Nature Preserve
This natural surface foot trail is the first trail to carry the name "Potomac Heritage Trail." It begins at the parking area for Theodore Roosevelt Island. The route is fairly rugged, especially the first four miles to Chain Bridge. After turning inland for awhile, the trail returns to the Potomac shoreline for a dramatic run up to Live Oak Drive at the Cabin John Bridge. Expect flooding at both ends in high water.

Trip Planner
Start: Roosevelt Island
End: Scott's Run Nature Preserve, Swinks Mill Road trail head
Miles: 10.8
Points of Interest: Roosevelt Island, Rosslyn, Fort Marcy, Turkey Run Park
Parking: Roosevelt Island (0.0 mi.), Windy Run (1.8 mi. via side trail), Gulf Branch Nature Center (3.8 mi via 0.8 mile side trail), North Glebe Rd. (4.3 mi.), Fort Marcy (4.8 mi.), Turkey Run Park (7.5 mi. via 0.3 mile side trail)
Water: Roosevelt Island, Gulf Branch Nature Center, Turkey Run Park
Restrooms or Privy: Roosevelt Island, Turkey Run Park
Provisions: Rosslyn
Camping: None
I think it was DC Hikers or Mid Atlantic Hiking something that posted this hike.  It was "hike 2 hours, then turn around and hike back."  Which sounded good to me!  No stress to be stuck or make miles.  It felt really laid back and it was!

At first, it doesn't really feel like hiking.  You're walking along Spout Run for a good part of it at first, but then you start to head away and down towards the river.

The trash and debris is sort of expected.  What wasn't expected is the rocks, trees, and nature just below a well traveled road.  This trail didn't seem all that well traveled.  There's woods, sandy trails, and rocks to scramble over.

My feet were okay.  About an hour in I had to stop.  I was sort of disappointed and thought it was going to be a repeat of the last disaster.  But it wasn't!  :)

After that little rest, our hike lead us over large roots, boulders, and streams.  It truly was amazing to be so close to the city and be in such a unique wilderness.

We crossed a rather large, rocky creek and lost sight of the trail for a bit.  We saw a teal blaze on a rock leading us up the right side of the falls, but we weren't sure.  Then S saw one of the group arrows pointing that way.  There was a steep slope with a pope hand rail that lead up the rocks to the woods above.  You guess it!  Up we went!  He had to pull me on a few spots as my knees were starting to get sore.  All the while I'm thinking, "We have to climb down this at some point soon."

As soon as we crested the ridge it was time to turn around.  Now I'm thinking, "It's going to take me longer than 2 hours to get back."  On the descent, my knee popped BIG TIME!!  Good thing I could slide down the rocks on my nice, big butt!  We should have had a power bar here, but didn't.  I would regret this later.

The walk back was rough.  I got very tired of climbing rocks.  My knees were really sore and towards the end, I could barely take a step without grunting.  S tried to distract me by talking about the midget woman at work.  That lasted a few minutes.

We finally got back to the parking area around 12:45.  The leader waited.  I explained about my feet and she told us about her knees.  She wears braces.  S gave me a stern look.  OKAY!  I get it!  Next time I'll wear it!  She was understanding, though.  Next time, we will just have to explain to the hike leader that we'll be fine and probably might hike a little slower and take a little longer than most.

It was neat to be so close to the city and have such rough terrain.  Now I've seen where Rock Creek comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment